Bench for the Mrs. Adelaide A. Tichenor House
Greene & Greene (1894–1922, American)
Greene & Greene (1894–1922, American), Pasadena, CA
22 1/2 x 45 x 20 inches
Greene & Greene was an architectural firm established by brothers Charles and Henry Greene in Pasadena, California in 1894. The Greenes are considered masters of the American Arts & Crafts movement. This bench was designed for one of their earlier commissions, the Adelaide A. Tichenor House, a beachfront property in Long Beach, California. Mrs. Tichenor wanted an all-encompassing design from the landscape to the furniture and the aesthetic she requested would influence Greene & Greene’s continued focus on completing every aspect of design for their projects. Shortly after commissioning her home in 1904, Tichenor asked Charles Greene to meet her at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis, as she was inspired by the Japanese exhibition at the fair. She asked specifically for Japanese influence in her design, which informed Greene & Greene’s—and more particularly Charles’—later Japanese furniture aesthetic.
ON VIEW in Promenade Gallery 2
Collection Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art