Donna Marecak (1922–1998, American)
4 7/8 x 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches
Born February 6, 1922 in Kankakee, Illinois, Theresa Madonna Fortin (Donna) graduated from high school in 1939. She attended one year of nurses training at St. Joseph Hospital in Joliet, Illinois before switching to art studies. She attended several art schools during this time, most notably The Art Institute of Chicago. After serving in the Women’s Army Corp (WAC) during World War II, she spent 10 weeks assigned to the Army Photography School at Lowry Field in Denver. This brief introduction to Colorado prompted her decision to return to the state permanently. Discharged from the service in 1946, she immediately enrolled at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center in order to study with Edgar Britton. There she met and married fellow art student Edward Marecak. They and their two sons settled in Denver in 1952. Donna Marecak became interested in ceramics while studying at the Cleveland Institute of Art in 1951. She decided to make this medium her focus, and was gradually able to acquire the tools and equipment to set up her own studio. She continued classes at the University of Denver from 1964 to 1966, and received a BFA. Marecak taught privately from her own studio and in the Denver Public Schools from 1966 until 1971. In addition, she exhibited locally, and with her husband Edward was a dynamic part of the local art community.
Not currently on view
Inscribed with "dm" artist monogram, bottom
Collection Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art