Koloman Moser (1868–1918, Austrian)
Bakalowits & Söhne (1845-present), Vienna, Austria
8 1/2 x 3 5/8 x 3 5/8 inches
This glass goblet is an example of Koloman Moser’s early work as part of the Vienna Secession, prior to his founding of and participation in the Wiener Werkstätte (1903–1932). The Vienna Secession (1897–1939) broke away from the formal Viennese Artists’ Association in 1897. Dated to 1901, the goblet was manufactured when Moser taught at the School of Applied Arts in Vienna. During this time students were expected to design and produce new things, so the school partnered with major Viennese companies. For glass objects, the school and thus Moser himself collaborated with glassworks Joh, Loetz Witwe and Meyr’s Neffe all represented by commissioning retailer E. Bakalowits Söhne. With the establishment of the Wiener Werkstätte in 1903, Moser’s business partnership with glass retailer E. Bakalowits Söhne ended and Moser’s glass production declined. Thus, Moser’s glass pieces from late 1900 to spring of 1903 are rare and significant. The colorless blown glass of this goblet features an optical spherical pattern called "Meteor" on a honey-colored trumpet foot.
ON VIEW in Art Nouveau Gallery 4
Collection Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art