Design Date c. 1900
Manufacturer Glasfabrik Johann Loetz Witwe (1836–1947), Klostermühle, Bohemia
Dimensions 7 x 4 x 4 inches
Loetz was recognized as one of the leading art glass manufacturers during the Art Nouveau era. The highly-sought-after works are characterized by their remarkable use of color, iridescent effects and organic shapes, with many pieces being inspired by nature, as seen in the example here. Johann Loetz opened his own glass cutting factory in 1814 in Kašperské Hory, Bohemia, now present-day Czech Republic. After various partnerships, he eventually founded his own independent company under the name “Johann Loetz.” Upon his death in 1844, his wife Susanne became the heir of the company, changing its name to Johann Loetz Witwe, translating to “Johann Loetz’s Widow.” Notable for innovative contributions in the glassmaking field, in 1900 the Loetz company won the grand prize at the Paris Exposition.
ON VIEW in Art Nouveau Gallery 4
Credit Line Collection Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art
Accession Number 2004.1456