Cylindrical Vase with German Silver Overlay
The Copper Shop of the Roycrofters (c. 1903–1938), East Aurora, NY
copper and German silver (an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc)
6 5/8 x 3 1/8 x 3 1/8 inches
The Roycroft design community began in East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo) in 1895, as an American response to the English Arts & Crafts movement that emphasized design handmade by artisans, with the goal of design for all. The Roycroft campus had several workshops for furniture, metalwork, printing and leather, as well as residences for its 500 workers. The Roycroft Inn was built 1903–1905, adding a modern Arts & Crafts building to the campus with a music room, dining room, lecture hall and guest accomodations. Copper was the material of choice for Roycroft metalwork because it was easy to form, even for self-taught metal artisans (which many in the Copper Shop of the Roycrofters were). Copper was also inexpensive; this meshed with the Roycroft design principle which aimed to create good design for all. In addition to strengthening the copper, the hammer marks on this vase add decorative appeal and are evidence that this vase was handmade by a Roycroft artisan, rather than a machine. This emphasis on the handmade was an important part of Roycroft, as well as Arts & Crafts design.
Not currently on view
Roycroft logo mark impressed in bottom
Collection Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art